Diabesity is a portmanteau word for diabetes and obesity. So, diabesity is the simultaneous occurrence of diabetes and obesity in an individual.
There are two types of diabetes; Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. But we will be focusing on Type 2 diabetes which is also known as sugar diabetes or diabetes mellitus. Type 2 diabetes and Obesity go hand in hand. One hardly exists without the other.
How does obesity cause diabetes?
Obese people, especially those with so much fat around the waist region are more prone to suffer diabesity. In fact, obesity is the major cause of type 2 diabetes. Centers for Disease Control Estimates that about 90% of obese people will suffer diabetes.
Too much body fat hinders the metabolism(breakdown) of carbohydrates. When carbohydrate is not metabolized, the sugar content of the body is increased, and this leads to hyperglycemia which in turn leads to diabesity.
Also, obesity is known to cause insulin resistance in the body. Insulin is an hormone that decreases blood sugar. Insulin does this by moving glucose from the blood to other cells where they are either used up as energy or stored as body fat.
What causes Diabesity?
The major cause of diabesity is poor dieting. You know, one can be in luxury and still have a poor diet. This leads to the question, what is a poor diet?
- A diet is said to be poor when it does not include enough nutrients. A poor diet doesn’t contain the essential classes of food that your body needs for proper functioning.
Also, processed foods are not very healthy for you. Do you know that is healthier for you to eat fresh oranges than drink orange juice? You should know that poor diet can not really be blamed on poverty and the likes. It is actually about knowing the “right and healthy foods” and sticking with them. The chocolate bars you consume and the sugary foods are not as glamorous as their high prices make them look.
I am not asking you not to take them. It is okay to indulge once in a while. But the problem is when they replace whole meals and vegetables and natural foods in your diet.
2. Another cause of diabesity is a sedentary lifestyle.
A sedentary lifestyle is a lifestyle that includes so much of sitting or lying down. You find this in most office jobs. You sit facing a screen for hours with little or no movement.
It leads to a reduced level of aerobic fitness in the sense that little or no physical activity does not encourage proper flow of oxygen. A sedentary lifestyle increases the risk of suffering stroke, high blood pressure, heart diseases, type 2 diabetes as well as having an abnormal level of cholesterol.
3. Aging also contributes to one’s chances of getting diabesity. Type 2 diabetes used to be called “Adult-Onset diabetes”. The chances of getting diabetes increases with age. This is why fitness is very much encouraged in older people due to their susceptibility to a lot of diseases.
Symptoms of diabesity
- Xerostomia or dry mouth.
2. Blurred vision.
3. Constant yeast infections as well as Urinary Tract Infections.
5. Sexual dysfunction- 35%-75% men with diabetes are most likely to be impotent. Women are not left out too. One third of women with diabetes are likely to suffer sexual dysfunction too. These women find it difficult getting aroused as well as enjoying coitus with their partners.
Cure for diabetes?
Diabetes has no known cure. It can only be managed by living a healthy lifestyle and regular insulin injections to maintain a normal blood sugar level as well as regular screening for complications.
Diabetics are often advised to exercise too so as to burn unhealthy fat. Also, they should avoid getting cuts. High blood sugar makes it very difficult for wounds to heal quickly. Open sores get infected quickly.
- Exercising regularly.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle.
- Consume foods with low carbohydrates.
- Lose weight if you are obese.
- Drink enough water.
Below are links for further reading.